The Quick and Easy Way to Assess Density With Laboratory Balances
Most scientists know that accurately determining the density of a substance is a critical part of the research process in sample analysis. A density kit is a valuable accessory to help laboratory workers assess the density of a material. By adding a density kit with an analytical balance the process becomes simple.
How is density calculated?
Traditionally, density determination measurements were calculated by:
- Figuring out the volume
- weighing the sample
- Dividing the volume by the mass
- Then finally coming up with the density
This process is not only complicated and tedious; it can be inaccurate.
Testing of both solids and liquids is possible using the density kit. That means that even samples with densities greater or less than that of water can be determined. The lab balance software will calculate density using water, ethanol or paraffin as selectable references. The software in the lab balance also allows the user to enter the density of any reference liquid directly.
How to set up a density experiment on a weighing balance
The diagram above shows one example of what a density weighing kit set-up on a lab balance may look like. The following process will provide a brief guide on how to to set up a density experiment on a balance using this method:
- The density kit is installed on the floor of the balance's enclosed weighing chamber.
- The kit's beaker holds the reference liquid and may be reused to test as many samples as needed.
- Once set up the user simply selects the density application from the built-in menu options on the balance. If a reference liquid is used other than what is already programmed into the lab balance, the user can enter the density for that reference liquid.
- The application prompts the user through the process: Weigh the sample in air using the sample cup on top of the stand, then in the reference liquid using the sample cup suspended on the wire.
- Once complete the density measurement will be calculated and displayed on the screen of the balance.
Recommended scales and balances with density determination features
Inscale stock a wide selection of scientific scales and laboratory balances with built-in density determination applications that can calculate the density of objects automatically.
Equinox Semi-micro and analytical balances - Adam Equipment
Equinox analytical balances our the latest range of high-precision balances manufactured by Adam Equipment. Equinox combines intuitive touchscreen capability, a wide variety of weighing modes and remarkable precision to excel in busy laboratory testing facilities. The Equinox is ideal for research and quality assurance facilities; science education; precision counting; and production and manufacturing applications needing exceptionally precise results.
The GR series of analytical balances from A&D weighing. The GR is a top-quality balance offering high precision, motorised internal calibration and protective draft shields for advanced scientific weighing. Alongside density determination features, this balance can perform parts counting and percentage weighing applications.
Nimbus Analytical Balance - Adam Equipment
The Nimbus analytical balance from Adam Equipment. Mid-price range, High-precision balance with a full set of weighing applications including density determination, parts counting, dynamic animal weighing and percentage weighing.
If you require more information about density detemination or are looking for a balance with density detemination features then please contact us - We are happy to recommend a scale to suit your needs.